Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blogging, first attempt

Well, two days later I made it to Botswana alive and mostly well. I had a scare at the airport when I was told the ticket was not actually paid, I spent the entire car ride to the airport rehearsing my speech to the delta agent; said speech politely suggested a fellow passenger's unitmely death if it would get me on the plane. It worked out, howver, (sarah 1, computer 687) and I made it to London Heathrow where I took the train into town to see the British museum. I only had forty-five minutes so I pretty much jogged through the museum with constant sighing and tears in my eyes as I recognized one korous statue after another lamassu. Unfortunately, when I got back to the airport I could not remeber where the locker that stored my carry-on luggage was located. I ended up exploring all 5 terminals of London Heathrow before I found the bag; I guess the cosmos was hinting that I needed exercise.

Botswana is great! Altho surprisingly cold in the mornings and evenings (wtf?). There are eight of us staying in a quaint little hotel surrounded by an elecctric fence in a town outside of Gaborone. Everyody is pretty much awesome and they are all game for weekend excursions to surrounding countries. The first morning went as expected (I can add another picture to my graffitti series!) but the afternoon picked up with a tour of the campus and a delightfully paranoid security talk by campo which included assualt and robbery statistics for the university -which unnecessarily terrified everyone (may I point out that Spokane is worse that what this guys was talking about, lol). We have officially started Setswana classes but other classes will not start until monday. I am really looking forward to that since currently every minute of the day is scheduled and I need a nap. And then I saved an armadillo with my trusty pocket knife.
Go siame!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got in okay!

    Also, armadillo rescue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, your airport story gives me a stomache ache as a mom type that I am. As a traveler, it makes for a great adventure. Never a dull moment. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete