Friday, July 31, 2009

American "culture"

Today we went to a traditional setswana meal in a village outside of Gaborone. Altho the house at which we ate had a thatched roof it was actually really nice, it would be a perfectly legit vacation home in the US. At this meal I enthusiastically ate a pre-pubescent butterfly deep-fried and salted, I then regreted that at my leisure. Later that evening the Batswana present showed us some traditional dances and then insisted that each country represented by an international student ought to be represented by a dance and song or a dancing game. The electric slide was already done so us Americans were only able to come up with two more ideas that everyone knew and really screamed "AMERICA": soulja boy and the hokey pokey; we did the hokey pokey and it was sad. On the bright side I saved a mountain lion with a corkscrew and a piece of floss today and tomorrow we are moving into the dorms! (Oddly enough the dorm we are living in is called "La's Vegas," I guess that plane ride was not as long as I thought?)

1 comment:

  1. xDD I love you, Sarah Dupont. You'll have to let us know how fried butterfly tastes. More or less like onion ring? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete