Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The not so lonely roll of toilet paper

So the end of August has come and gone and I have eagerly been awaiting the arrivel of my toilet paper quota (which is supposedly 4 rolls on the first of the month). I have been a bit desperate lately and have been restricting my "calls of nature" to when I am near the library building (the only place on campus stocked with toilet paper and soap; this is unfortunately inconvenient in the dead of night) Before you say anything, yes, I could buy my own toilet paper but I have not for two reasons: 1)I am mad that the previous 4 rolls I bought were all absconded with and 2) I am lazy and forgetful and the store is a twenty minute walk away. I was pleasantly surprised today when, returning to my dorm, I found 2 rolls of TP sitting on my desk. They still technically owe me 6 more rolls (2 more for the quota + my 4 they took) but I wasn't going to complain. I will complain, however, that when I looked over at my roommate's desk she had a pile of ten rolls. I figure that the cleaning ladies are either being very passive aggressive or, more likely, our room was the last stop, the woman still had 8 rolls left, and she did not want to carry them down the stairs. I spent a while asking myself "what would Kant do?" and eventually decided to go the hobbsian route and I straight up took an extra roll from the pile for myself. (life is nasty, brutish, and short on toilet paper....)

In a similar vein, the cafeteria seems to be taking a page from the cleaning service. I went there this morning, as I have done everyday, and asked to pay for breakfast. They then informed me that they have decided to stop serving breakfast. (note that this announcement came with no sign, no early warning, and no apparent logic) Upon further inquiry it turned out that they are apparently losing money and have therefore decided to only serve breakfast to those who bought a mealplan in advance. If any of you have spoken to me in the mornings then you know how I feel about breakfast so it is not too surprising that I managed to obtain food from the cafeteria this morning where 4 other international students failed. I have also offered to buy the meal plan for breakfast but the manager of the cafeteria did not seem to think that would work (what the heck?) but I pretty much turned on the "poor little me" act and asked her, "b-but, how am I going to eat? My only kitchen is in another country..." She said to come back this afternoon and she will know what to do. I will be getting breakfast, there is no question. I will eat peanut butter sandwiches and granola in my room for lunch and dinner (supplemented with setswana food from the street vendors) but I REFUSE to go without hot tea every morning and breakfast is the only place on campus to get it. So in any case, details to come (hopefully they will not involve a minor catering-service-coupe)

No comments:

Post a Comment