Monday, September 28, 2009

Sarah speed-blogging; as she is a cheapskate

Quick updates as I have to pay for the internet by the minute:
Drove to Johannesburg in a combi (15 seater van with no cushions or seatbelts) for 6 hrs. with 16 people, although the border agents were convinced that there were in fact 17 and tried to make us pay accordingly. The chair I sat on was designed to be stowed so it flipped over every time we made a sharp turn and I would wake up from a dead sleep in my neighbor’s lap.
Saw the apartheid museum; it was excellent but at 5pm when it closes they just turn all of the lights off to make you leave, no warning, signs, or anything.
Took a taxi to tolkem tower (one of highest points in city) realized on the way that the guidebook said it was in an “extremely dangerous” neighbourhood, had an omg moment, and had to frantically tell the taxi to turn around.
tried to find a café for tea and coffee, started walking down the street and was frantically stopped by 8 combi drivers who all insisted that we were walking into our deaths that way and that we should really just stay inside the bus station, we gave up and just followed their advice.
Sat in the station for 4 hours waiting for bus to Mozambique. We sat down on the floor in a corner, had a security guard tell us to move, so we sat down in another empty corner, were told to move again, so we stood at a railing overlooking the bus station, were told we could not stand there, finally found an acceptable corner.
encountered four guys who desperately needed to change dollars for rand. I would have said no but when I asked where they were from they said Kinshasa, and as I just poured my life into a paper about the DRC I was inclined to help them. I traded them 740 rand for what may or may not be a real $100 bill. (I’ll find out when I try to spend it at the border).
In any case, Joburg was pretty while driving in a taxi but terrifying on foot. Mozambique is epic beyond all reason, but I think I will wait to share that until either we return to UB (which we may never do as we are currently living in a tropical paradise) or tomorrow when I feel like walking back to the internet café. For all those who were wondering tho, I am alive and well (someone please tell my mother) and I have some awesome stories to come. Inlcuding but not limited to: “In which sarah is sat on by a large man,” “the gang gets Tofo’ed,” “Aubri and the AK47s,” and “$1 for a 550mL beer, (doz M) proof there is a loving god”

2 comments:

  1. Hey, a combi in Africa means the same thing as one in Peru. Only I was squeezed next to a really hot Argentinean talking about soccer and the Incas for 1.5 hours. Somehow the frequent stops and decreasing space in the van didn't seem to matter all that much. He really was very hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of the title, I started reading this blog very, very fast and then realized I didn't have to. :)

    I'm so glad that you got to go museuming!

    ReplyDelete