Wednesday, December 2, 2009

In Which Absurdity Ensues


So the real reason that I did not want to talk about my trip last night was because when I returned from it an alarming portion of my things had been stolen out of my dorm room and I was too angry to make light of the situation. The situation has since been resolved and I can talk about it now:
I had locked up my computer and souveniers (the things that really matter) in someone's office but I left- locked in my closet in a locked room- some clothing, my dvds and cds as well as miscelaneous toiletries and all of those things that you never know how to pack and end up throwing in at the last second...they were mostly gone but the toiletries and my books had been moved across the hall (WTF??) I was very upset and went to bed angry at the world (and hungry as the refectory had closed and power was out around the city so no restaurants were serving food) In the morning I decided to talk to the cleaning ladies (my primary suspects as the lock was not broken). I found them in a room FULL of stuff from the dorms because it is apparently an unwritten rule that anything the students leave is left for the staff. Long story short I gave them a chance to right an honest mistake but the woman who cleans my room told me she moved my things but took nothing......by the way, during this conversation I realized that she was actually wearing one of my necklaces (LOL). In the end I filed a report with security and four hours later was called back to the office wheere the same woman had a bag with all of my things and was apologizing for her honest mistake. Kudos UB security! I had absolutely no faith in the institution but apparently they get shit done. (PS I am planning to leave the necklace with a note saying "I am really gone now, Merry Christmas!")

As for the Delta: We drove for hours into the Okavango Delta in these giant safari trucks that I dubbed "tourist assualt vehicles" (TAVs from here on)


"In which Sarah almost dies...twice!" That picture of me in pink is actually twelve feet from two lions (OMG) but that was not even remotely dangerous. The scary part was when we were in a boat, observing hippos who were too close for comfort (Hippos in fact kill more humans than any other animal, they are very territorial) When the bull hippo of the group surfaced not three feet from our boat...screaming ensued. Later that day we were on a game drive and the TAV in front of us was right by some awesome elephants with a teeny baby. Unfortunately the mother elephant took exception to their presence (I would too if I had just been pregnant with something that big for 22 months) and started charging them to ward them off. They booked it out of there pretty quick, and the elephant then turned on us. I cannot say I have seen anything scarier than a full-grown elephant running at my vehicle. My dear friend Jenny was screaming while I laughed like a crazy and thought I was going to die. (Don't worry, I didn't)


"Mashed Potato cake" Our friend Aubri had her 21st while we were on safari (miles from any alcohol) so we tried to make her day special. We brought candles but were far away from anything resembling a cake so we had to improvise. I suggested a mud pie but the group decided on a bowl of mashed potatos in which we stuck lit birthday candles. I think Aubri was touched.

Okay, I will have to tell the rest of the stories later, I have a Pocahontas appointment right now. Tommorrow is my last day in Botswana (AHHHHH!) and then I head to London and almost definite culture shock. Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment