Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Cultural Excursion" part I

Hey y'all, so I got back from our "cultural excursion weekend" and it was awesome! We saw 2000+ yr old rock paintings, the livingston tree (under which David Livingston taught, ran a clinic, and parlayed with chiefs), a kgotla (traditional court), traditional dancing, and a game drive! The food was fantastic, the lodging was way better than the dorms and the entire weekend cost me approximately $30 (I love the exchange rate). I cannot put all of the pics in one post so I shall share in three parts.

Part I: Livingston tree and rock paintings
Here is a quick shot of the tree (hard to capture with only photos)
Livingston tree, HUGEFrom left: me, mark, aubri, angene, jenny (all americans in my program, all awesome)

This cave is where a pregnant wife of a very important cheif hid for 4 weeks during the boer war.



The giraffes, my favorite











1 comment:

  1. I love those giraffes! Now I'm wondering how exactly these paintings were done, and why the eff they've lasted so long. I'm sure you'll be able to tell me yourself in January. ;]

    ReplyDelete