Thursday, August 13, 2009

The lonely roll of toilet paper

It occured to me today that the serious drawback to a blog versus telling stories when I get home is that stories that will be really funny later down the line are not at all funny to me right now. Nevertheless, I suspect that others may enjoy my scrapes.
I took my third cold shower in a row tonight...in the dark. The light in our bathroom is still very much broken, as is apparently the hot water heater. I could kill for a hot shower right now, literally kill somebody. I mean seriously, if you want somebody dead right now then find a way to get me hot water. Fortunately, I suppose, homicide would still not get me a hot shower so I won't need a lawyer yet.
In a similar theme, I have a curious case of a lonely roll of toilet paper. As I have previously mentioned, one must bring one's own toilet paper to a public bathroom on campus. Dorm residents, however, are given 4 rolls a month. I also bought four rolls, not knowing this fact. So I started with eight rolls and I looked at my shelf today and realized that, two weeks into the month, I am left with one very lonely roll. Now, I have not finished any single roll of toilet paper, and while I might be forgetful, I do not think I have lost (read: left in the bathroom and never found again) more than three or four rolls in the last two weeks. This leaves me with a missing 4-5 rolls of toilet paper. I have literally no idea where they could have gone. Who the hell would steal it? Maybe I should leave more lucrative objects next to the toilet paper in order to deter would-be paper thieves? I am puzzled and would appreciate suggestions.
In a not similar vein, I have begun daily tae-kwon-do lessons for a few other exchange students in the courtyard by our dorm. I enjoy the exercise and it is a good way to meet locals (mainly because they want to know what the hell we are doing) What is odd is that when a friend mentions to a curious UB student that I have a blackbelt, hence the lessons, they always step away and say, "Oh! so you could kill me right now?" (not unless it'd get me a hot shower, buddy). I don't know why people think a blackbelt would make me more volatile and prone to hurt bystanders, but I have gotten this reaction 7 times and counting. It is nice to know, however, that I am building an international reputation for unpredictable violence.
Alright, that is the end of my ranting about the creature comforts. Tomorrow we visit immigration (woohoo! wild times!) and I have my first physiology lab.... until then, sala sentle!

4 comments:

  1. LOL Your bo staff skills and violent reputation may decrease the "hot white chick" invitations. I'm ok with that! Should I send a flash light for showers???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spent a nice morning, after a hot shower, with a cup of coffee reading your great blogs. Very well done, very funny. Thoughts on the toilet paper...google Batswana paper trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive never been so entertained by tp stories.
    and suck it up dupont. cold water never hurt anyone. thats a lie. but still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tip #1 from Tyler: Shower in the afternoon. That is when the pipes are at their warmest a.k.a. not frozen.

    ReplyDelete