Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Trifles

Since the last three posts were very classic and touristy, I feel the need to update the blog with a few "sarah stories."
First, in Setswana yesterday our teacher was trying to define a word as an example of a certain noun class and described, "A woman who sleeps with a lot of men, what do you call her in English?" I naturally yelled "a strumpet!" and everybody stared at me. The professor, who takes pride in her english, looked at me and then asked me to spell it so she would remember it in the future. I obliged her and then added tart, lightskirt, harlot, and woman of negotiable affections to the list too.
Second, I have a roommate who is a fourth-year student name mickey (really). I guess I have a second roommate too because there was a third person sleeping in our room last night....I have yet to acertain their identity...details to come. I was slightly terrified to be getting an assigned roommate (since that went so well last time) but she seemed nice (until she turned on her stereo at 6:15am, we will have to talk). I am positive about it, however.
Lastly, I am ill and may need to visit the student clinic (do not worry, it is not at all serious). I figure a third-world government-run free student clinic has to be better than Gonzaga's, but I am wary. I am hoping for a simple strept test but I was advised that it could take a few weeks. By then I will be either dead or cured so it may be faster to grow my own penicillin in the closet. I'll keep you updated if a limb falls off. :)

2 comments:

  1. how could you forget DEMIREP!?!
    in any case, I am finding myself endlessly entertained imagining you in all of these situations. I can almost hear your (of course very eager and confident) shout of "strumpet"! ringing through the air. haha, classic. and I'd love to see the way you suspiciously eyed the breakfast lady, or how you brusquely turn down all of these african men. ah sarah...

    p.s. please stay healthy! (my advice is to start growing the penicillin)
    p.p.s. I expect to hear your comparative evaluation of the BU and GU health centers - i'm betting on BU coming out on top

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. It was that professor's lucky day, asking you for synonyms to THAT particular word.

    And I'll second Hannah's indignation that you forgot my new favorite, CHIPPIE. >:|

    ReplyDelete