Friday, August 7, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to the kgotle....

wow, internet two days in a row, seriously a record! several cool updates: first, we are going to mochudi (a village outside of gaborone) tomorrow in order to see the final part of an initiation ceremony. This is a coming-of-age ceremony for young men in Botswana that involves a month of survival classes etc. All I knew at first was that it involved circumcisian so I was a little surprised that we were invited to watch but that part is not actually being performed tomorrow, rather just a very large party is being held. We are also going to see a football game (read: soccer) tomorrow; I hope I survive the experience, The Batswana are a little intense. Speaking of surviving the experience, today there was a man in a suit with a megaphone asking every student to "just cooperate" and come out of the dorms for a minute. He then started speaking in rapid Setswana. I have a deep-seated fear of megaphone-armed officials as I am convinced they will herald my eventual demise but I guess this guy was just from security asking students to report suspicious characters or thieves (we are in Africa, could they not find a less coup-oriented way to make such an announcement?) Finally, I have officially found the scariest and most depressing building in Gaborone: the US embassy which is conveniently located next door to the Libyan embassy (I wonder if they doorbell ditch each other, I would)

No comments:

Post a Comment